This year one of the ways that I am preparing to welcome the Christ Child at Christmas is by becoming more conscious of my consumption in the form of groceries.
The challenge is to:
- Set a food budget
- Seek to under-spend the budget as much as possible
- To share in the experience of those whose limited resources require them to always be mindful of the cost of their food
- To give the excess from this area of my life to someone who actually needs it
- Pray each day for the one to whom I have decided to give that which is left unspent at the end of Advent
My plan is to post the amount of every grocery item I buy along with a picture. I can go grocery shopping as often as is convenient during the week, but at the least, each Sunday I will post about every item purchased.
I decided to blog about this because I find it easier to stay on track when I am recording things precisely, and I hope that I can benefit from anyone who happens to read and comment.
This is certainly an attempt at improvement, not a pretense of perfection. So if you see something especially atrocious that I have bought I would love it if you commented with an explanation for why you would not make that same choice. And if you are doing something similar please leave a link so that anyone interested can read about your experience as well!
- In Case You Were Wondering…
- Advent? What Advent